Lemon drizzle cake is absolutely perfect for this time of year as there is nothing better than to come in from the cold and have a lovely slice of stodgy cake with a hot cup of tea. This recipe is honestly so simple to make! The cake comes out so fluffy and moist and sticky sweet.
For the cake:
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- grated zest of 1 lemon (or extra if you like a particularly strong flavour!)
For the drizzle:
- squeezed juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 85g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C. It needs to be super hot so the cake will bake evenly!
- Beat together the butter and caster sugar for the cake with an electric whisk until creamy
3. Then, add the eggs in one at a time and beat in between until it is all incorporated. It should be a bit runny and gooey at this point!
4. Then, sift in the flour and the lemon zest! Stir it in until the mixture is thick and smooth
5. Then just pop it into a loaf tin and into the oven for 45-50 mins/ until cooked. During tis time you can make up your syrup. Simply stir together the caster sugar and lemon juice until it becomes a thick liquid, perfect for drizzling!
6. When the cake is fully cooked and out of the oven, use a chopstick to poke some holes into it. Then, pour the drizzle all over the top of the cake! The drizzle should absorb in and trickle down the holes you made.
7. Leave to cool and then enjoy with a lovely cup of tea! The cake will keep in an airtight tin for up to 4 days (if it can last that long without being eaten!)
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and have seen how easy it is to make this classic cake. Let me know how you got on in the comments below and if there are any other recipes you would like me to show you!
Love from Evie x